Friday 15 December 2006

Volume 3: Issue 3


It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames. ~ Harry Hill

Headlines


Success!
by Piper Kin

In the last week or so, there have been two notable changes in Elysia - the advent of Character Journals and the release of the new default skin called Grey Fields.

Both have apparently been welcomed with excitement and the Journals board is already filling up with threads that can chart a character's life as deeply or shallowly as they like.

"It's nice to have our hard work pay off," stated one of the members responsible for the journals. "But it wouldn't have happened if it weren't for the suggestion of one of our members."

This just goes to show that it's worth the effort of passing your ideas on. "Even if we can't use them straight away, or as a whole, we'll definitely try to use them in whatever capacity we can."

Invitation to Apply
by Chenoan Cirocco

As Elysia grows, so does the need for money. With the opening of widely publicized journals the need has lessened slightly, but it's still there. We here at the chronicles post all open jobs in the paper each week. Sadly we rarely get any applicants.

So consider this an open invitation to apply for an Elysian job. From Writers to Artists there's definitely something for almost anyone. So what're you waiting for?

Editorial


None for this week!

Weekly Feature


Kaida's Revenge, Part 3
by Kaida Tanili

I followed my own sent back to their camp. Without chasing anyone, the run back seemed longer. I was actually able to feel the burn in my side by the time I got back. I had no doubt in my mind that the other two would wonder about their friend, and probably disappear looking for him. When I found that they hadn’t, I felt my eyes harden even more. These hunters seemed to be heartless in every aspect. Clenching my jaw again, I waited patiently, trying my hardest not to look at the prize they'd gathered from my mother. At this point, I was lost. They had guns, traps, and most of all; there was two of them. I didn’t stand a chance, especially not as a bear cub. As I lay there thinking, I shook my head. I had only one chance. And if I wasn’t successful, then my mother had died in vain. She died to protect our secret, and I was about to openly show it.

Sucking in my breath, I let it out shakily. Erupting in a roar, I burst through the brush and into the small clearing. My actions startled one hunter backwards off his chair, and the other flung for his gun, picking it up and aiming it at me. I stood perfectly still in that moment. I stared at the ground, and willed my ears to pick every little sound up. The rustling of the chair, the hunter peaking up from lying on his back, a finger clicking down on the trigger, then releasing it, his arm coming down, bringing the gun along with it. They looked at me, and they saw a small bear cub. I was a prize, a trophy. If they kept me alive, they could sell me, just like my father. I, I was their ticket to getting rich quickly. If only they knew. But, I guess they were about to.

Shifting as quickly as I could, my body morphed into that of a human woman. It didn’t take long as I was still chalk full of adrenaline. The shock from what he'd seen made the hunter with the gun stumble back, while the other one got enough sense to realize what was going on. He began to scramble to his feet as the other one lifted his gun once again, aiming at me. With a motion I’d never felt before, I quickly reached behind myself, pulling out my spear any my knife. In an underhand motion I flung my knife as hard as I could directly at the gunned hunter’s leg. Just as it pierced his flesh, making him rip loose in a blood curdling scream, I lifted my spear and turned towards the other hunter. His shock over not just what he’d seen me do, but from his buddies scream had him standing paralyzed. If I had been any other person… if I had seen anything other than what I’d seen, I might have spared him. But I didn’t. Pulling back my upper body, I braced myself and shot forward my spear aiming directly for his heart. Its swiftness was just as it glided through the air and hit its mark. I watched as it sunk into his chest and shot out the other side. His hand went up to hold the wooden pole, clutching at it falling to his knees. He looked up at me in his dying moments, and I met his gaze, not once flinching, or feeling any bit of remorse. It didn’t take long until he fell over, gasping for his last breath.

Turning around to find the other hunter, I found the place he stood was empty. The coward had seen what I had done to his friend, though why he didn’t just shoot me I’ll never know. I wasn’t in my animal form any longer, and his sent was lost. But I could taste his fear in air. Pulling out yet another knife, I began to slowly look around for him. In his state of mind, even as a human I’d be able to hear him running. And other than the crack of forest beneath my feet, I heard nothing. Pressing my hand to a nearby tree, I stopped and peered. The dark of the night was intense, and being a human, a distressed one at that, wasn’t helping at all. Pushing myself away from the tree I moved forward, gazing in every direction. He was not going to get away with murdering my mother. Even if I had to devote my life to hunting him down.

Employment Agency


Public Relations

Help spread the word about Elysia by travelling the world wide web in search of roleplay sites just like ours. Read their rules and follow ours as you give them a link to EF and one of our buttons, and pass on their details so we can link to them.

Responsibilities

+Advertising the Elysian Fields

Salary

You'll be paid $20 per week with a bonus of $50 for every successful affiliation.

How to Apply

Please send applications to Xanth's Secretary.

Calling all artists!

Wouldn't it be great if we could actually see Xanth's Temple? Or the Fae Tree, or the marketplace? Wouldn't it be amazing to see what an imp really looks like, or how big the Scorpion King was?

As much as the Elysian Fields is based off our members imaginations, it would be really cool if we could create a visual aspect for the site. And that's where you come in.

We're looking for:
+ landscapes, including city and rural scapes
+ humanoid beings
+ non-humanoid creatures for the bestiary
+ miscellaneous items and scenes

If you sign up, you'll be given a description to work from and the rest is up to you. ^__^

Salary

Further details to be given to the artists hired. Payment to be arranged per piece. Please be aware that we do have requirements and you'll need to be able to take instruction. ^__~

How to Apply

If you think you can help, please send examples of your art (minimum of three pieces) to Xanth's Secretary and wait to hear from us. ^^

Assistant Editor

The Chronicles is looking for a new assistant editor to work alongside Chenoan.

Responsibilities

+ Oversee the features team
+ Ensure the paper is printed on time
+ Make sure deadlines are adhered to
+ Proofread features and edit where necessary
+ Check links and sources
+ Accept submissions of tips and features
+ Write headline stories
+ Pay salaries for regular staff
+ Pay for submissions from freelancers

This is an out of character job for the most part so we will be hiring based on the following factors:

+ Good English
+ Ability to work in a team or alone
+ Good imagination
+ Time to do all of the above
+ Good knowledge of what's happening around Elysia

Salary

$100 per week to be paid by Chenoan.

How to Apply

In your application please include the following:

+ Your real name or alias (not your character's name)
+ Apply from the character account you wish the salary to be paid to should you get the job
+ Please include a portfolio of headline stories (minimum of three, please check the Chronicles archives for an idea of what we're after).

Please PM questions and applications to Chenoanthank you.

Feature Artist & Journalist

The Chronicles is also looking for new writers and artists for the weekly features section.

Responsibilities

+ Submit at least one feature per month
+ Adhere to any deadlines
+ Follow the editors' guidance
+ Check all facts before writing
+ Check links and sources
+ Write at least one headline story per week

Skills

+ Good English or Art
+ Ability to proof your own work
+ Good imagination
+ Time to do all of the above
+ Good knowledge of what's happening around Elysia
+ Ability to take constructive criticism

Salary

Feature staff are paid $50 per feature submission by Chenoan and $15 per submitted headline story.

How to Apply

In your application please include a portfolio (minimum of two features, please check the Chronicles archives for an idea of what we're after).

Please PM questions and applications to Chenoan, thank you.

Classifieds


Oh so empty...