Friday 22 December 2006

Volume 3: Issue 4


I don't care how poor a man is; if he has family, he's rich. ~ Dan Wilcox and Thad Mumford, "Identity Crisis," M*A*S*H

Headlines


The Christmas Ball
by Piper Kin

For days anticipation has run hot throughout Elysia ever since the invitations to the Snowflake Ball organised by Scarlett Caye, Alieh Kae and Faith went out. Hosted in a winter wonderland of a cave in the lower Alps, the ball requires formal dress and even the Imps are in attendance - as elves!

Some of the best Elysian musicians have arrived to help partygoers get into the swing of things. We hear the cave is a bit chilly though, so make sure you take a jacket that matches your party best. ^__~

(Art by Alieh Kae, aka AmberRose)

Daoine's Dinner
by Piper Kin

The Cosy Cafe is already the busiest eatery in the marketplace and the hotspot for gossip. It's also been visited by a few of the A-List in the past - Kiril and even Xanth once stopped there for lunch (though we hear there was a bit of a kerfuffle about that).

This Christmas, Daoine is hosting a lovely feast for Elysians who don't want the hassle of cooking for themselves. With the menu available now, who can resist?

Don't forget to RSVP!

The Quest for an Aide Continues
by Tom Caye

The questers representing Nymphs, humans and Dragons now face their toughest challenge yet - the less-than-pleasant portal gatekeeper and Nymph, Evadne. Her looks are ravishing, her raven black hair is to die for and her eyes sparkle in such a way that even the toughest warrior could melt under her gaze. However, do not let the beauty of her exterior fool you - it has been discovered that the obstacles the questers have faced were the work of the Nymph. The presence of the quest party has thoroughly irritated the wench, causing her to crash trees down in their path and generally make their task as difficult as possible. Despite the hate-fuelled woman's intentions, this reporter thoroughly believes the questers can pass her and enter the Acanthan dimension - surely they didn't come this far to fail?

The Haunting of Dazadi
by Piper Kin

Two hundred years ago, as a previous feature told, the Aide Dazadi's partner, Kade, was killed on a mission that haunts Dazadi to this very day. When she faced the Hind, all those memories boiled to the surface, leaving the already unhinged Aide more than a little crazy. It wasn't until Dazadi was rescued, however, that events took a rather unexpected turn when she accidentally used her Anyeli/Aide powers to download her entire life into the mind of Suka Matali.

As readers of the Chronicles will already know, Suka has since become a menace to Elysian society - particularly its women. As more and more of Dazadi's memories attacked him, Suka became almost as unhinged as Dazadi herself until finally it seems that his body is being taken over by the very Dragon - Kade - who died two hundred years ago.

While Kade attempts to regain his own body with Dazadi's help, Suka slips away into oblivion leaving his own girlfriend to wait in terror that he'll never come back. Can Kade get his own body back or is Suka doomed?

Weekly Feature


Kaida's Revenge
by Kaida Tanili

Before I could take another step, I heard a loud thud behind me, and swung around. Just at my eyes focused on the hunter, a loud crack rang through the air, followed by an exploding pain in my shoulder. Turning my head, I looked down at my arm, and saw what had happened. The bullet from his gun had gone clean through, and the pain it caused was immense. Turning my head slowly, I looked at the hunter before me. Although I was in pain, and I know I was, my brain refused to register it. My soul didn’t care. All reason had left me, and I was stuck with the shell of a monster. I was going to kill him, and I was going to enjoy it.

Either the hunter saw the killer in my eyes, or he had no more bullets to shoot, he ran off as quickly as he could muster. I only took a few steps, my motions flawless. It was like I was following a pre laid out plan, and nothing could go wrong. My confidence in my ability was so stunning, if he’d of shot me full of bullets I don’t think I would have wavered. Taking the knife in my hand, I pulled it back then launched it with a roar at the hunter. It flung quickly through the air, sticking directly into his spine. He fell forward with a hard crash, nearly collapsing into the tree beside him.

I made my way to his weeping body and stood over him, one foot on each side of his body. Picking up his body by his hair, I pulled him off the ground just enough to get a good look at his face. There was no doubt in my mind; this was the hunter who’d beheaded my mother. Throwing him down to the ground, I took my knife by the handle and yanked it out of his back. He let loose a scream even I looked away from. Closing my eyes and clenching my jaw, my fist griped the knife with a fury that had only intensified since the killing began. With one smooth motion, I bent down and garroted him. Moving to the side, I placed my foot on his shoulder and kicked him onto his back.

As I stood there watching him die, my knife still gripped tight in my hand, images of my mothers life flashed before my eyes. Her wonderful life and our time together all flooded my memories. Then her death entered my mind again. Vision after vision, I saw her die over and over and over. And then, I saw her being scavenged. Scavenged. Letting loose a scream of pain, I held my knife above my head and sunk to the floor, plunging it into the hunters heart. His body shook from the sudden motion, just before becoming still completely. The mess around me was immense, but my soul was shut off to it. My body wrenched in sobs once more for my departed mother.

Finally I released my hold on my knife and pushed my body back falling to the ground. Scrambling to get up, I looked away from the murderer’s body and stumbled in the opposite direction. My senses were beginning to catch up to me, and my body ached from the wound I’d been given. My muscles were sore from the exertion they’d been put through, and my heart accepted its broken fate. Closing my eyes, I slowly made my way home, needing to get away from all I’d seen, and all I’d done. As I walked away from the massacre behind me, I heard the low howls of prey, coming to claim her kills.

The End.

Employment Agency


Public Relations

Help spread the word about Elysia by travelling the world wide web in search of roleplay sites just like ours. Read their rules and follow ours as you give them a link to EF and one of our buttons, and pass on their details so we can link to them.

You'll be paid $50 per week with a bonus of $50 for every successful affiliation.

Please send applications to Xanth's Secretary.

Assistant Editor

The Chronicles is looking for a new assistant editor to work alongside Chenoan.

Responsibilities

+ Oversee the features team
+ Ensure the paper is printed on time
+ Make sure deadlines are adhered to
+ Proofread features and edit where necessary
+ Check links and sources
+ Accept submissions of tips and features
+ Write headline stories
+ Pay salaries for regular staff
+ Pay for submissions from freelancers

Salary

$100 per week to be paid by Chenoan.

How to Apply

In your application please include the following:

+ Your real name or alias (not your character's name)
+ Apply from the character account you wish the salary to be paid to should you get the job
+ Please include a portfolio of headline stories (please check the Chronicles archives for an idea of what we're after).

Please PM questions and applications to Chenoan, thank you.